Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: April 2015

I prepped the tans-axle the best I could. I cleaned it, sanded it, and cleaned again with ethyl alcohol. The one area I didn’t want painted, I kept oily and put masking tape on. I then primed, and paint twice, sanding and cleaning between each coat. Some of the paint on the part I wanted painted came off with a finger nail. The part that I didn’t want painted, the paint stuck on so hard that a razor blade wouldn’t remove it. I had to sand it off. How it got under the masking tape and stuck to the oil is beyond me.

Advertisements

Tonight I heard a radio commercial that stated ” If you can’t start your car from anywhere in the country with a smart phone, you need to buy a new Chevy.”

Question, why would you want to fill your garage with exhaust fumes while you are far away? What if you forgot to take your car out of gear and it drives through your garage door.

I know most commercials are aimed at the average consumer, and most of them can’t shift a car, waste gas warming up or cooling down their vehicle and keep their garages full of junk.

I will never understand.

In all of the re-powers I have seen the gas tank that comes with the engine is used. I could never figure out why, especially for the Kohler engine tractors. The tank must be hard to fill with the dashboard in the way.

I decided to use the original fan housing to hold the tank. I first had to cut out the part that interferes with the engine.

cut fan housing

It cut very easily with an angle grinder. The housing is held up by the handle bars but it needed extra support. I made this bracket for it.

bracket

I made it from 2 reinforced 5 hole strut angles and a piece of strut. It fastens to the top hole in the engine adapter.

The I bent in the top slot on the fan housing so that a bolt head would clear the gas tank. I welded a washer to help with alignment. Yes I know the weld is terrible.

bent housing

Next I took off the original gas tank from the engine. I then discovered there were two lines coming from the tank, one being an EVAP vent. I needed to recreate this in the Gravely tank. I found a place to drill and tap an 1/8″ NPT barbed hose fitting.

fitting in gas tank

The last thing to do is to seal the vent hole in the cap. Now I can fill a nice big tank and add a filter to the system. The original had no fuel filter. I won’t have to deal with that screen in the mouth that makes it hard to fill and see how much gas is left.

I purchased a kit from Guthrie Repower that allows anyone to re-power a Gravely or other powered walk behind or rider tractor with a Honda or Honda clone engine. Other engines will probably work but you will need to research. I always wanted to make a kit but nothing I dreamed up would be as elegant as Bruce’s kit.

Bruce Guthrie
Guthrie Repower
454 Mowery Rd. N.W.
Cleveland, TN 37312
Email

I purchased this engine from The Carroll Stream company to re-power the C-8. It has electric start so I can add lights and a pull start if the battery dies.

Before painting the trans-axle I did a mock up so I could start solving some of the problems. The first on was the handlebar support. There are threaded holes in the adapter that are shown in the instructions to hold the handle bar. The supports are shown to be on the front side of the adapter. On my tractor there is no room to do that.
support hole

The only attachment point can be on the back side of the adapter. Because of this the support was hitting the muffler shield. I had to bend the supports forward to clear the muffler.

handle bar support bent

Next post will be about the gas tank.

I woke up this morning to this scene.

Snow on Easter

The lawn was bare yesterday. Those are fake flowers. It never stuck on the roads but it snowed all day. Tomorrow it is suppose to get warmer with lots of rain. hopefully the frozen ground and melting snow-pack won’t cause flooding.I am hoping the snow will stop because on the 30th we need to remove our studded snow tire. Of course I hear studs on tires until July, but I know I would get caught.

The first step is cleaning up the trans-axle. This is what I started with.
Dirty trans-axle

About 3 hours of steam cleaning, scraping and cleaning with Scotch-Brite I got it to this point.
clean trans-axle

Then I could finally paint it. I used Allis-Chalmers orange spray cans from Tractor Supply. I used the primer, then 2 top coats sanding between each coat.

Painted trans-axle