Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: July 2015

Another attachment I could never get was a lawn roller. I finally gave up and built one myself. I collected thick angle iron, a 40 gallon pressure tank, pillow blocks, some round stock and some pipe and built one.

The drill bits I bought were bad so I couldn’t drill the angle for the 1/2″ bolts. I ended up using 3/8 bolts and welding it. It worked well except the tank leaked horribly. I will try to TIG weld it before next spring. I used the spring and seat from a sulky.

lawn roller

lawn roller bracing

lawn roller

lawn roller in use.

Next year I plan to add weight to the side supports, as it isn’t heavey enough for my really bumpy lawn.


Sorry about the delay.

The original handle bars were horribly bent. I had to use a pair from an old L for the project.
handle bars
The black ones are the correct shape.

Mocking it up I found the air cleaner hit the gas tank.

air cleaner hitting gas tank.

I took off the air cleaner and found I could rotate the housing 90 degrees so it would clear.

air cleaner original location.

Here is the rotated air cleaner with the cover trimmed to allow removal.

final air cleaner.

In all the re-powers I have never seen a handle bar kill switch. I thought of moving the key to the handle bar but to save time I just added a kill switch. I took a starter button, mounted it to the handle bar. I wired one side to ground and I tied the other side to the low oil sensor. It works better than I imagined. One touch and the engine stops, you don’t have to hold it down.

kill switch

Another thing missing from re-powers is a throttle lever mounted to the handle bar. I found one that I had that locked into full, which is a great feature. The engine had the part needed to mount a throttle cable to two different locations. I picked the one parallel with the shaft.

thottle lever
throttle cable

Here is a picture of the under hood set up. The gas tank vent didn’t work, it was sucking gas so I re-routed it up and around the filler neck. Photo’s later.

Under hood view

I wanted to use the original rear hitch. It was too short and too high to fit under the engine. I made metal plates to lower the hitch and bring it back.

hitch plates.

Hitch and parts.

Hitch installed.

There are problems with the hitch. First it isn’t centered. I am not sure what wrong measurement is causing that. Second is it is too short for using the steering sulky. This winter I am going to take it off and move it back 3 inches.

I was going to use the new style forward/reverse hand position, without using the new style control, ie push forward for forward. I have used back to go forward all my life and my mind cannot switch to the new style. After I move the hitch back I will probably have to move the forward/reverse handle to the newer position. I will have to do that while using the original mechanism for the rod.

I finally was able to buy a roto-tiller. One with a good shroud , gearbox, plow gearbox and a few broken tines. A second one that was broken but the tines are good. I should be ready to roto-till in the fall. No more belt driven Ariens tiller.